Thursday, January 5, 2012

I can't get any holier.

I once heard someone say "I'm as Holy as I need to be, I don't think I can get any better". Truth be told, up until a few years ago I agree. Now that I know better, my heart truly aches at the thought of not being able to dive deeper, to become Holier.

When I joined the Life Teen movement almost 6 years ago my whole world twisted a little. The more I've been involved with this movement, the more I realize that statement up there is completely false. Thats something that I find different about the Catholic faith, there's always room to grow more. I have a friend-boy (I did that on purpose) that is Presbyterian Protestant (I think that's how you say it) and we talk a lot about faith. If I may explain his position without his permission I would say that he longs to go deeper but just doesn't know how, like he's stuck.

Stuck? Stuck where? Mary, what in the world are you talking about.

Well, reader, I am talking about this. The Catholic (and Christian) faith in general is full of mysteries. The mystery of the Virgin Mary, the mystery of the Holy Trinity, the mystery of the Eucharist.

I mean, look at the rosary! There are the Joyful mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries, the Glorious mysteries, and the Luminous mysteries.
Whats the key word here? mysteries.


Ding Ding Ding!

We have all these mysteries that cannot be solved other than by the Lord. I can't explain to you why or how or when Mary ascended into Heaven. I can't convince you with my own words who the Holy Spirit impregnated a 14 year old Virgin girl with the Savior of the world. I just don't have the words or the power. Sure, I can tell you about them, but I know no root. I just know what I read and what I have faith in.

This brings us back to my post on the Eucharist, kind of. God doesn't call us to understand everything about our faith, but he calls us to have faith in it. To believe in it and hope to one day understand it better (not fully). That is why they are called mysteries.
If we did not have mysteries, there would be nothing to dive deeper into. Our faith would just be cut and dry, with explanations to everything and understanding of everything.

What fun would that be?

Dive a little deeper, I promise you'll never reach the bottom. (until heaven, and once you're there pray for those seeking to go deeper on earth!)

Peace and God's love.

1 comment:

  1. So true.. we're never done growing in holiness and never done contemplating the mysteries of the Faith! The Catholic Church is full of mysteries.. the Sacraments have another name in the East- the Greek word musterion (mystery). The seven Sacraments have always been considered mysteries. The Mass, especially the traditional Latin Mass and the Masses of the Eastern rites, are full of mystery. The priest faces the cross and tabernacle, the Eucharistic prayer and consecration are said in an inaudible voice, the Eastern rites have an iconostasis (a screen or wall) that separates the sanctuary and the congregation. These things are supernatural and holy, and we are natural and working on the holy.. so we don't understand them fully.
    "Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known."

    ReplyDelete