Saturday, December 10, 2011

The first Fiat.

A couple thousand years ago came the first Fiat.

In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary. And coming to her, he said, “Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.” But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his Kingdom there will be no end.” But Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” And the angel said to her in reply, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; for nothing will be impossible for God.” Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her. (Luke 1: 26-38)


Phew, a lot to live up to right? Now, I'm not going to lie to you and say that I've read the Bible cover to cover (I'm trying to work on it though, Praise God!) but, I do try to familiarize myself with what I'm writing about. Although the entire section is extremely intimidating, its nothing that we as Christians can't strive to achieve. 


But first, lets pray. 


In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen. 
Lord, help us to open our hearts to Your will and guide us to Your will instead of our own. Let Your will be done to us. 
Amen. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.


So, Mary. The yes. 
Mary gave the most important "yes" anyone could ever give. She allowed the Lord to become present in her through the Holy Spirit. Thats crazy! I pray that one day I can even come close to not being freaked out by God's plan for me. I pray for her unending faith! 


The thing is though, Mary's Fiat was not just a one time thing. No "yes" to anything is just a one time thing. There must be work involved. There must be more in order to fully give yourself to something. Mary is the prime example of that. Not only did she say Yes to the biggest question on earth. She bore the Son of God, the savior of the world! THEN not only did she do that but she went to her cousin and PROCLAIMED GLORY TO GOD. She didn't say "Man I"m going to be the mother of God aka I'm really awesome bow to me and give me grapes". no. She definitely did not. She said, and I quote:


"My soul exalts the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of His handmaid; for behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name."


For the Mighty One has done great things for me and holy is HIS name. God has blessed me, so continue to praise him. All generations will call me blessed because God has made it so, but praise HIM. not me. You can call me blessed, ask for my intercession, but praise HIM. For it is Him who has done this for me. 


She said yes. 


Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment